Cypriot born Britain, 1931-2014
pencil on paper
signed and dated 1983 lower right
25 x 31 cm
This work is registered with the Glyn Hughes Archives.
Glyn Hughes was born in Wales in 1931 and studied fine art at Bretton Hall in Yorkshire.
He moved to Cyprus in 1956. Four years later, in 1960, together with Christoforos Savva, he founded ‘Apophasis’, the new republic's first gallery with the aim of introducing the contemporary art movements in Cyprus. It was housed in Sophocleous Street, and the exhibitions held in the courtyard helped to shape the intellectual life of the capital.
The same summer, when Cyprus gained independence, the gallery moved to Apollo Street, were Hughes and Savva exhibited their work and that of other artists. Lectures and discussions were held with speakers such as the great Russian film director, Sergei Bonderchuck.
In 1971 he established ‘Synergy’, an event that combined conceptual and environmental art that was organised yearly until 1974. A year later, a fruitful partnership began with the German theatre producer Heinz Uwe Haus, both in Cyprus and abroad, and with the Cyprus Theatre Organisation. He has designed stage sets and costumes for productions in Cyprus, Athens, Thessaloniki, Epidaurus, Kalamata, Edinburgh, Berlin and the USA.
Hughes has lectured both in Nicosia and Athens on Cypriot art, Berthold Brecht, William Hogarth, German Expressionism and other subjects. He has exhibited his work in solo and group shows in Athens, London, Germany, Switzerland and Cyprus.
His work can be found in many public and private collections in Cyprus. Notably at the State Gallery of Contemporary Cypriot Art, the Limassol Municipal Gallery, the Bank of Cyprus Cultural Centre Foundation, the Central Bank of Cyprus Art Collection, the Hellenic Bank Cultural Centre, the Archbishop Makarios III Foundation-Cultural Centre and the Costas & Rita Severis Foundation.