Ciner Jewelry (1931-today)
The company’s founder, Emanuel Ciner, started as a fine jeweller in 1892. Charles and Irwin Ciner, his two sons, began apprenticing in the family business in 1922. During the Great Depression, like many other fine jewellers of the day, the Ciners ventured into manufacturing costume jewelry.
With an eye for quality, the company began by producing sterling silver pieces set with glass cabochons, high-quality rhinestones and other stones. As time passed they added jewelry made of plated base metals. Throughout the 1930s Emanuel, Irwin and Charles Ciner, were responsible for a variety of technical innovations in the costume jewelry business.
From the late 1940s numerous shops and department stores such as Saks Fifth Avenue, Bergdorf Goodman and Neiman Marcus retailed Ciner jewelry counting among their clients Elizabeth Taylor and Queen Sofia of Spain.